Saturday, April 07, 2007

Exam days chatterings

It was the eve of our first end semester exam and Kapil suddenly walked into my room, disturbing the peaceful atmosphere, asking, "Hey Abhishek, did you understand what Prof. has taught in this topic?" Atul ( my roommate), as usual interrupted, "Looks like Kapil is all set to get an A in the course". After this followed a series of 'not so good' words and finally Kapil started with his story of the day (I have named it), "FYI, I've been sleeping in my room since the last two hours, didn't study anything", adds some more 'not so good' words and tries his best to convince Atul that he hardly knows anything and needs to study a lot. Meanwhile I close my ears with my fingers and try hard to concentrate on the book on my lap.
As if the noise and commotion was not enough, I saw Somani's legs entering my room. I raise my head from the book and look at him, while he still smiles as usual. He then speaks, trying harder than Kapil to prove in his own special way that he has not studied much and tries to pursue Atul to teach him. He says, "Teach me Atul, or else I'll fail! (though he never fails! :D)". And then Atul and Ajay start arguing amongst themselves and start taunting and teasing each other, along with using 'not so good' words. Kapil leaves the room immediately (sensible guy).
After five minutes of struggle with the external noise and disturbance, I finally give up and leave my room, and go to Bhanu's room, and ask him some of my doubts. "This is not correct, Abhishek. Every time on the day before the exam, you come to me and ask me this and ask me that." Bhanu who speaks this in frustration due to his lack of preparation, nevertheless tells me some things and asks me to come later. When I returned to my room, I saw Kapil watching a movie on my laptop, with Akshay accompanying him. On the other side of the room, on the other bed, I saw Somani, sitting in a relaxed manner watching Atul play pac-man.
As a result of such disturbances and my last day preparation for exams, I am often the last one to sleep in my wing in my hostel. To buy more time to study, I even reach the exam hall 10 minutes late (as a personal rule!). And then when I face the exam paper ....

After taking the exam, as usual, I walked towards my room, quietly cursing myself. On my way, I try to avoid talking to anyone. Post exam discussions make me nervous and I don't like it. This is the only time I like the fact that Telugu speaking people discuss the exam questions in Telugu, as I can not understand any of it. But as a matter of fact, I do overhear a few conversations now and then. Kapil, in his usual manner starts telling the mistakes he did during the exam (as if anyone is interested in it!), again trying to convince that he is the person who has suffered the most while taking that exam. Atul, though also tells his mistakes but in a more sober manner. Somani goes to an extreme saying his exam performance was disgusting and he won't get an 'A' in that particular course!! Bhanu, looks at me and asks, "How did you write your exam?" and without waiting for a reply or thinking, answers his own question, "I know you always do well in your exam."
Sometimes I wish Bhanu was right. That way I wouldn't have still been a 7 pointer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abe yaar! Chill maar
Don't have this inferiority complex dude, you've dwelt on a similar thing in ur story too.
If u still feel bad about it, the best thing is too be determined and start studying on time. If u don't find a peaceful place 2 study, the reading room's pretty good. Looking at the nerds arnd u, it inspires u 2 study.
There's no use cribbing abt it once ur done, right? Rather look towards changing things!
Cheers!