Tuesday, January 12, 2010

National Anthem

Isn't it a little upsetting or annoying to stand in attention before every movie in a multiplex for the National Anthem? Well, you may not but then you certainly don't want scorns from others in the hall. It does upset me till before the National Anthem tune is played, but while it plays, I feel like a school kid again, standing with pride, singing the anthem. What changed? Nothing. Because National Anthem would work, even after everything else fails.
During my younger days, while standing in the morning assembly I used to look around sometimes and see every person standing still in attention and singing the National Anthem. It amused me, and amazed me at the same time.
I doubt if anyone really understands the National Anthem. But well, who cares? It works, and if something works, we Indians generally don't bother finding the reason! :D
'Saare Jahaan Se Accha', by Mohammad Iqbal, may not be our National Anthem, but it does bring the same feeling of oneness that warms our hearts.

P.S. - Jana Gana Mana is much more suited as our National Anthem, I feel but can't really decide why... is it because of the content, or the structure, or the "Jaya he jaya he jaya he,
Jaya jaya jaya jaya he!" thing in the end... your ideas are welcome. :) (I feel lazy so didn't read about the possible reason, which I'm sure many have thought about).

7 comments:

Sultan of Samarkand said...

I still get goosebumps whenever the anthem is played. And I totally love the song.

shashydhar said...

RADDEST anthem ever. I might not be proud of many things in india but i'm definitely proud of my anthem

Atul Dwivedi said...

multiplexes really must stop playing national anthem, because y d hell I should care of national anthem as if I'll start feeling proud ... :P ...anyway sometime anthem made my blood to go with high speed n made me think that I should do something for my country ...

@nks said...

since the independence till may be early 90's they used to play national anthem before any movie start ... then they dropped it ... donno why ... but i m glad that they started it again ...

Although i donno the reason,is it like the prayer we should do before we start our meal kind of thing ?

Ankit Gupta said...

"I feel like a school kid again, standing with pride, singing the anthem.", So whats wrong in that ? We do hell lot senseless/stupid things in our life, so why such a good thing makes one think that its amusing/annoying!

tsp said...

Last I heard there was an SC ruling which made it optional to stand in attention for the Anthem

srijan said...

I don't remember the exact history, but the national anthem was written as a praise for some English Commissioner visiting India(remember "bharat bhagya vidhta") . Definitely, it is a good piece of art and literature, I am not so proud of it being adopted as the National anthem.. to an extent that i feel disgraced that even more 50 years after gaining independence kids at schools sing a praise for some heartless english man EVERYDAY!

It would be better if we could reconsider songs like rang de basanti and vande matram as our national anthem.