Sunday, May 19, 2013

Promises are NOT meant to be broken

Today I broke a promise. I thought it wasn't a big deal because how can one person's presence/absence make a difference, especially if that person is me. Apparently it does, and I don't like it. I feel sorry for what I've not done, i.e., keeping my promise but the sad part is that this isn't the first time.
Early on in my life I had realized that I am not good at keeping promises so I didn't make any promise. The only time I made promises was when the only way to get out of that situation was to say 'yes' to a promise, especially with my mother and father. Most of the times things resolved themselves, and parents can be very forgiving so they'd have got used to this nature of mine.
Every once in a while I feel like making a promise to my friend who considers calling me for a movie even after my "no" on everytime he invites me for a movie. And as expected, the promise is broken most of the times. This bad habit has plagued me during my masters where I failed to get research publications and in my job as well, where I couldn't meet deadlines.
And now a days it happens everyday. I start my day with some plan, by the end of the day most of those things remain unchecked in my list. Instead I end up doing few new things.
So I had promised to my friend that I'd attend Orations '13 to listen to her speech. My bad habit prevailed and I overslept. By the time I woke up, the contest was already over. It seems my absence may have affected her performance. If that indeed is true, then I must do something about my callous attitude towards life and people because now its affecting others as well and I hate it when that happens.

No comments: